Friday, June 4, 2010


The cool moist night air of my country road, with only the sound of the crickets chirping, is a perfect ending to a crazy day in the city. In the hot daylight hours, I'm delighted by my rural lane's colorful succession of weeds and wildflowers. Although they may be invasive, I love the heavy perfume of the wild thorny roses. Today's drive down my tar and gravel road in the 80 degree weather inspired this Japanese style haiku ...
Wheels roll over tar.
Pop, pop, pop like bubble wrap
The road is melting.
Robert Frost, when speaking of roads said, "I took the one less traveled by and that has made all the difference." Although some say this poem is about regret, others interpret it as an ode to individualism and non- conformity. These are traits which most artists hold near and dear. After all, great art is not only about technique..I find that boring. Great art must also express that which is unique to you. Wow, there must be a catchphrase in there involving technique and unique..as I'm laying in bed tonight with the windows wide open I'll mull that one over.

1 comment:

  1. What a nice Haiku, Vickie. I enjoy your writing very much, so I'm glad you're blogging it down. I wonder how your gravel road sounds now that the temps are way up.
    The Frost poem has always seemed about nonconformity. Either way, reflecting on our choices is a good thing.
    Your garden must be in full bloom now and grateful for yesterday's rain.

    ReplyDelete